Types of claims not accepted
In some circumstances, you may not be eligible for compensation if:
- you have not reported the offence to the police (unless you can demonstrate the failure was reasonable)
- you failed to help the police in their enquiries regarding the arrest or prosecution of an accused person
- you have claimed for injuries, expenses or losses from another source (eg injuries covered by third party compensation, medical expenses recovered from Medicare or loss of income recovered under workers compensation)
- your injury was caused in a motor vehicle crash
- you are not the primary victim of the offence.
Compensation may be reduced or refused if the assessor considers your behaviour contributed to your injury.
[ back to top ]