Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Frequently Asked Questions - Reporting a crime

Should I tell the police what has happened to me?

Yes, the police are here to help you. You can call 131 444, or in the case of an emergency call 000. Alternatively you can go to your local police station.

What if I tell the police what happened?

Police will talk to you in confidence and an investigation will be implemented with your consent.

I don't want to go to the police. Is there somewhere else I can go for help?

Yes, there are a number of support services available to you including counselling services that can provide advice. In cases of sexual assault you can contact the Sexual Assault Resource Centre (SARC). It can provide you with medical treatment and ongoing support and advice.  If you live in a rural area SARC has a freecall number you can phone.

Will I have to go to court?

You may, if you want to proceed with a prosecution, and the offender pleads not guilty. Whatever you choose, you will be fully supported.

What will the police think of me?

The police will not judge you. You will be treated with sensitivity and respect.

I can't remember exactly what happened so how can I tell the police?

If you are worried and think something has happened to you, tell the police about it. In many cases, a police investigation can uncover other evidence and witnesses which may support your account.

I was a victim of crime in an incident which occurred interstate/overseas, can I report this?

Yes, contact your local police station for advice.

Something happened to me many years ago. Can I do anything about this now?

Yes, the police frequently investigate historical crimes. While there is no guarantee that a historical crime can be solved, the process can be beneficial to individuals who find that they now have access to support services. 

Frequently Asked Questions - Victim Notification Register

What is the VNR?

The Victim Notification Register is a service that enables victims of crime to access information about the offender who committed the offence(s) against them.

Can I register with VNR?

You can register with VNR if you were the direct victim of an offence, or, if the offence resulted in a death, if you are an immediate family member of the deceased person.

Can I find out when my ex-partner is getting out of prison?

If your partner is in prison for an offence against you, you will be eligible to register with VNR and receive information about the offender including release dates.

My child was the victim. Can we still get information about the offender?

Yes. In the case of child victim, a parent or guardian of the child can apply to receive the information.

The offence was committed some time ago. Can I still register?

As long as the offender is still under the supervision of the Department of Corrective Services – either in custody or serving an order for the offence against you – you are still eligible to apply.

What kind of information is available through VNR?

The information can include court dates, sentence calculation details, the making of a victim submission, information sheets on various topics, eligibility dates for early release orders, sentence completion dates and notice of any escape from custody and recapture.

I witnessed a serious offence. Can I find out what happened to the offender?

Generally, witnesses are not able to register with VNR.


Last updated: 12-Apr-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.