Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

I'm a Victim of Crime. What do I do now?

If you or someone else is at risk contact the POLICE on 000

Note: There is a quick exit button to the top right of the web page that you can use if you need to leave this page quickly. However please be aware that pressing this button will not delete your search history for this page. For help on how to delete your search history refer to hide your visit.

Crime can be experienced by people of all classes, races, religions, ages, abilities, ethnicities and sexual preference. The most important thing however is to feel safe and get help if you think you may need it. None of the information below constitutes legal advice you should seek independent legal advice if required.

Burglary, home invasion or non-fatal violent crime

Burglary or home invasion is the illegal entry of a dwelling or other premises with the intention to commit a crime. There are many types of non-fatal violent crime. The most obvious is assault. Assault can also be a component of many other crimes, like sexual assault, burglary, and stealing. 

  • If you have been a victim of a burglary, home invasion or a violent crime, please call the police on 131 444 or 000 if you believe you may be at risk.
  • You may be able to obtain counselling and support through Victim Support Services, you can contact them on (08) 9425 2850.
  • You are also able to attend your local doctor and request the Medicare Mental Health Plan to assist in obtaining counselling for anxiety and depression. This method allows you to choose the practitioner of your choice for ten sessions at a reduced fee. In exceptional circumstances you can request your doctor to approve additional sessions.

Fraud and scam related crime

This can include fraud associated with cheques, credit cards, hacking, itinerant traders, scams, identity theft, and scams.

If you have experienced a crime related fraud or scam

  • If you have been the victim of fraud, you can call the police on 131 444.
  • If you want to recover your money, you will need to take civil action through the Clerk of your local Court, police will not recover your money for you.
  • General information on scams scamnet.wa.gov.au/ProjectSunbird
  • For support and guidance on identity and cyber security concerns refer to: idcare.org/

Family and domestic violence

Family and domestic violence involves behaviour which can damage someone’s emotional, physical, sexual, psychological, social, financial or spiritual wellbeing. This behaviour aims to stop victims from reaching out for help, through control, coercion and fear.

Some groups such as the elderly, those with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and women and children are particularly at risk.

If you or someone else has experienced family or domestic violence

  • The primary concern is your safety. If you or someone else’s safety is at risk please call police on 000.
  • For general police attendance please call 131 444. Police have dedicated Family Violence Units which include officers who are specially trained in the area and maybe able to assist with safety planning and getting you to a safe environment.
  • Family Violence Service may be able to provide advice on obtaining Family Violence Restraining Orders. Contact them on 1800 600 476 or refer to Family Violence Service.

Refuges and Community Resources

  • For an extensive list of metropolitan refuges, refer to Womens Council
  • For an extensive list of rural and remote women’s refuges refer to Womens Council.
  • For an extensive list of help lines, police, legal and counselling options, refer to Womens Council.
  • Family Safety Packs cover a number of subjects and are translated into 46 languages as well as into a storyboard for those who may experience literacy issues.

Sexual violence

Sexual violence refers to a wide range of non-consensual sexual acts including but not limited to rape, sexual assault, sex trafficking and slavery, female genital cutting, child sexual abuse, child marriage, enforced sterilisation, enforced prostitution, and forced pregnancy. It can also include online sexual harassment and the posting of intimate images without your consent.

If you have experienced sexual violence

  • If you are over the age of thirteen years you can call the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) on (08) 6458 1828 24 hours a day 7 days a week. 
  • If you are under thirteen years of age, you or someone on your behalf, can contact the Perth Children’s Hospital Child Protection Unit on (08) 6456 4300 (Perth only). 
  • For those who live in regional and remote areas, victims able to report the matter to their local doctor or hospital.

Reporting to police

  • It is never too late to report incidents of sexual violence, as some people choose to report it many years later.
  • If you choose to report the incident, you can call the Sex Assault Squad on (08) 9428 1600 or you can call your local police on 131 444.
  • If someone has posted intimate images without your consent you can attend a local police station or call 131 444 to report the matter.
  • If you would like to have the images removed without making a criminal complaint, you can report it to the e-Safety Commissioner via esafety.gov.au.

If someone has died unexpectedly

Homicide refers to the unlawful killing of another and can include murder, manslaughter, unlawful assault causing death, and attempt to unlawfully kill. Road fatalities can include dangerous driving causing death and careless driving causing death.

If someone you know has been the victim of a homicide related offence

  • Attending police from the Homicide Squad will allocate you a Family Liaison Officer who will be your primary contact and assist you through the process.
  • You may be able to receive support through the Victim Support Services on (08) 9425 2850 or the Coronial Counselling Service on (08) 9425 2900.
  • Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme – assists family members and close friends to cover the costs of the funeral of someone lost to homicide. For an additional information on this scheme, refer to Homicide Funeral Assistance Scheme.

If someone you know has been involved in a road fatality

  • Police will contact the nominated family representative to advice of the circumstances of the accident. In most circumstances where a criminal charge is likely, the Major Crash Investigation Unit will conduct an investigation into what occurred and will complete a report for the Coroner to determine a cause of death. This may take some months due to the complexity involved. To find out further information refer to Police Traffic Investigations.
  • Road Trauma Support WA can provide information, counselling and social support after the loss of a loved one. Please refer to Road Trauma Support.
  • If the victim was admitted to hospital and has since passed away, the hospital Social Worker may be able to refer family and friends for support and practical assistance.
  • You may be able to receive support through the Victim Support Services on (08) 9425 2850 or the Coronial Counselling Service on (08) 9425 2900.

Last updated: 7-Apr-2020

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.