Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Lodging an application

To apply for compensation, contact the Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation.

An application form detailing the information required can be sent to you. You will also have to provide medical reports and other documents to support your application.

You can submit your own application, or engage a solicitor to act on your behalf. If you engage a solicitor, the assessor cannot reimburse the legal costs incurred. There is no fee for lodging your application.

Before completing the application form, please see the guidelines below.

Your application must include:

  • any medical, psychiatric or psychological reports
  • incident and prosecution details (eg date, place of incident, offence number, was anyone charged)
  • your written account of what the injury is and how the offence and injury has affected you, ie any change which has happened in your work, home or social life as a result of the offence
  • proof of any expenses such as your loss of income, medical expenses including the cost of medical reports, transport costs, the replacement of any damaged personal items, funeral expenses.

When the form has been completed, it needs to be signed and sent to:

Chief Assessor
Criminal Injuries Compensation
Department of the Attorney General
GPO Box F317

Ensure all documentation required is completed and attached. You should keep copies of the documents you submit with your application.

If you receive any medical or psychological treatment, you will need to keep a diary of the appointment dates as well as receipts for payments made. You should also request medical or counselling reports to support your claim.

After lodging the application

In the majority of cases, applications are dealt with by the assessor based on information you provide. The assessor may require further information to assess your claim and you may have to attend a hearing. Hearings are rarely held.

If a hearing is held, it is in a court room and generally private. Hearings may be held in regional centres or may be held via video link-up. You can make arrangements to be represented at the hearing by a solicitor or someone approved by the assessor.

The person who committed the offence by which you were injured may be present at the hearing. If the offender is required to attend the hearing, you will be notified of this in advance. Closed circuit television facilities are available.

If an application is over the age of 70 or the application arises from a death, these are given priority by the assessor's office.

Privacy and confidentiality

Your application is confidential. However, if an assessor has provided written reasons for decision, these are available to the public, including the media. In most cases, the offender will be notified of your claim and may be provided with edited copies of documents in support of it.

In special cases, assessors can order that names of people awarded compensation are not made public. This is always the case for awards involving sexual offences or juvenile offenders.

Last updated: 12-Apr-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.