Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Related Sites

Police duty of care

The police will talk to you about what has happened and arrange for medical and other assistance you might need.

If you are the victim of a crime, the WA Police will:

  • be sensitive and respectful of you and your situation
  • explain everything so you understand what is happening and why.

The police officer who deals with your case will have gained an understanding of the type of crime you have suffered through experience and specialist training. The officer will be discreet and tactful and will investigate your complaint thoroughly. Your assigned investigating officer will keep you informed about the investigation and will respond to any questions or concerns that you may have.

In more serious cases such as the homicide of a family member or a sexual assault, you will also have the support of a police Victim Liaison Officer to look after you. This officer has received training in dealing with the specific needs of a victim of a serious crime.

The Victim Liaison Officer or Investigating Officer will:

  • keep in regular contact with you and keep you informed as to what is happening with the investigation
  • help you with initial medical needs
  • help you with making a statement about the incident
  • help you with the process of undergoing a forensic examination to collect evidence by specialist services
  • put you in contact with support groups, if you would like help from someone else
  • talk to you about personal safety and security (and/or keeping your family safe), assess your potential risk and provide appropriate measures to protect you if you are in danger.

If the person who offended against you is prosecuted, the police can provide you with information concerning the court proceedings.

The police will:

  • keep you informed of any developments in the case
  • tell you when the person who offended against you will appear in court or be prosecuted
  • tell you if the person who offended against you will be released on bail and whether the bail conditions have any effect on you. For example, they may not be allowed to contact you or go to certain places where you go until the trial is complete.
  • arrange for you to make a Victim Impact Statement to the court via Victim Support Service. You can choose to let the court know how the crime has affected you or your family. Your statement may affect the sentence.
  • explain the court process to you and your role as a witness if required.
  • tell you the results of the court case.

If you think the care you are given by the police does not match the standards indicated, contact your Victim Liaison Officer or the detectives' office that is dealing with your case.

Last updated: 12-Apr-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.