Quick exit ➟
Skip to main content
Victims of Crime
Print page
  • Small Text
  • Medium Text
  • Large Text

Down the track

If you have been a victim of an offence that occurred some time ago, even years ago or when you were a child, you may still be able to make a complaint and have the person(s) who harmed you brought before the justice system.

It is common for victims of crime to feel helpless following a criminal act. However, at a later stage, your circumstances may have changed and you may wish to see the person who offended against you held accountable for their actions. 

You are still able to report the crime to the police. The police frequently investigate historical crimes. While there is no guarantee that a crime that happened in the past can be solved, the process can nevertheless be beneficial to individuals who find that they now have access to support services. 

Knowing about your rights, and the range of services available to you, is an important first step in your decision to report a historical crime. 

The Victim Support Service provides free confidential counselling and support services for all victims of crime. These services are provided by professional counsellors and trained volunteers. The VSS can also help you report a historical crime, if that is what you decide.

Another way to help yourself work through the issues is to join victim support groups.

Contact details

Victim Support and Child Witness Service
Department of Justice
Level 2, 500 Hay Street
Phone: (08) 9425 2850
Freecall: 1800 818 988
Fax: (08) 9221 2533

Last updated: 23-Jul-2019

[ back to top ]

Home | Privacy | Copyright and Disclaimer | Glossary
All contents copyright Government of Western Australia. All rights reserved.